RSS-enabled search engine from Marjolein Hoekstra
I was IM'd this morning by Marjolein Hoekstra, a friend from the ActiveWords community who has taken a deep dive into the world of RSS applications (check out her RSSonate bookmarks or the feed). She has built a RSS-enabled search engine in conjunction with Todd And's Power 150 Marketing Blogs. The cool thing? It's all based on web applications.
Todd's Power 150 RSS-enabled marketing search engine lets you do the following:
- Search all listed marketing blogs by keyword
- Generate a custom keyword-feed from your search that you can add to your own RSS aggregator
- Browse all marketing blogs as a combined, River of News feed
- Browse all marketing blogs from an alphabetically ordered list
- Grab the URLs to the feeds and OPML files offered in the widget to import or subscribe to in your own feed reader
- Send feedback by e-mail
Applications / concepts used in the application
- OPML - outline processor markup language to build a list of blogs for processing. Having this list is a core to the resulting tool.
- NewsGator Online - location of Todd's ever-changing OPML file of marketing blogs. One should be able to get this kind of OPML from several of the online aggregators these days.
- mySyndicaat - to create a river-of-news view of everything in the OPML file. Essentially, this creates a single RSS feed of everything coming from the OPML. The Corante Hubs use this (I'm a member).
- FeedBurner - to produce a prettier version of the mySyndicaat feed.
- ReFilter - to provide automatic filtering on the feed, so people can find only posts from the OPML relevant to their keywords AND get a feed of it!
- Grazr (GrazrScript) - to build the "kitchen sink" Marjolein created to display the content of the Power 150.
Previous entry: We are the web
Next entry: Am I a bicelebral?